- Irrfan had been diagnosed with an neuroendocrine tumour in March 2018
- He was rushed to a Mumbai hospital for treatment on Tuesday after suffering a kidney infection and was placed in intensive care
- Irrfan sadly died on Wednesday, 'surrounded by the people he loved the most'
- He is survived by his wife Sutapa Sikdar and sons Babil and Ayan Khan
- Irrfan also starred in Life Of Pi, Inferno, The Darjeeling Limited and Jurassic World
- Sadly, Irrfan's mother, Saeeda Begum, also passed away at the weekend aged 95, and Irrfan had attended her funeral via a video link
Irrfan Khan's life took a tragic turn in 2018, when he was diagnosed with cancer. The news devastated his fans and India's film community.
Khan took a sabbatical to seek treatment in London -- accompanied by his family -- before returning to play a middle-aged father in "Angrezi Medium", a follow-up to the 2017 hit "Hindi Medium".
He suffered a relapse in the months leading up to the film's release, however, forcing him back to Britain.
In an interview with the Mumbai Mirror newspaper in March 2020, he described life after the diagnosis as "a roller-coaster ride, a memorable one".
"Happy moments were underlined because of the inherent uncertainty. We cried a little and laughed a lot," he said.