Seven persons arrested for breaching lockdown directive test positive for COVID-19

Seven persons arrested for breaching lockdown directive test positive for COVID-19

Seven persons who were earlier arrested by the Adentan Municipality in the Greater Accra Region have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The seven were part of a group of 42 persons arrested for breaching the lockdown directive during its enforcement period in the country.

It can be recalled that Accra, Kasoa, Kumasi and Tema were subjected to under a three-week partial lockdown to curb the spread of the virus.

As a result, 37 police officers and 15 cell inmates of the Adentan Police Station have been isolated at the Police Hospital after being tested as part of contact tracing efforts.

Municipal Chief Executive of Adentan, Alexander Nii Adumuah indicated that necessary precautions were taken because of the circumstances.

“The team got to the place and did their necessary test and found that some of the people were positive. It was reported to me. We got to the place. We had all the people; about 20 or 30 policemen were tested.”

“The Adentan Municipal Assembly has also sent a team to disinfect the place,” he added.

The relevant courtrooms are expected to be disinfected and its personnel will also be tested for the coronavirus.

Meanwhile, Ghana’s novel coronavirus cases stand at 1,550, according to the Ghana Health Service’s most recent update, with the Greater Accra Region recording 1,347 of these cases.

However, a total of 810 people have so far been arrested by the Ghana Police Service as a result of breaching the partial lockdown directive.

Already, over 400 out of 810 persons arrested have been granted bail by various courts.

Since the lockdown, about 8,000 frontline police officers who were enforcing the directives have also been directed to self-quarantine.

Although President Akufo-Addo has lifted the partial lockdown, the ban on public gathering advisories has further been extended by two weeks.