Korle-Bu Child Health Department closed down after a child dies of COVID-19

Korle-Bu Child Health Department closed down after a child dies of COVID-19

A child has died of the deadly coronavirus at the Korle-Bu Child Health Department forcing the closure of three units of the hospital.

The three units comprise the Emergency, Neonatal and Intensive Care and the Paediatric Care unit have all been shut down.

According to reports, the child was sent to the facility after showing signs of rabies at the start but his mother denied knowledge of his son being bitten by a dog.

Further, the medical staff then decided to take samples of the child and test for COVID-19 as a precaution while the child was given CPR and was also put on a ventilator.

He, unfortunately, passed on before his results came in which showed that he had tested positive for COVID-19.

The situation has compelled some doctors and nurses into quarantine and equipment are been disinfected at the facility.

Ghana’s case count

Ghana's Coronavirus case count has now moved from 1671 to 2074 after 403 new cases were recorded after the Ghana Health Service (GHS) announced the new figures on its website on Thursday, April 30, 2020.

Breakdown

The Greater Accra Region remains Ghana's epicentre with 1,795 cases followed by Ashanti with 99.

Eastern is next with 70, Central has 21 while Oti and Upper East have 19 each.

The rest are Volta, 16; Northern, 13; Upper West, 10; Western Region, 9; North East Region, 2; and Western North, 1.

Meanwhile, one more person has died, bringing the COVID-19 death toll to 17.

Also, the total number of recoveries has increased from 188 to 212.

Male and Female percentage of the virus

Out of the 2074 cases, 62% are males while 38% are females. 12% have a history of travel while the remaining 88% have no clear travel history.