Considerations will be made before announcing lockdown – Nana Addo

President Akufo-Addo has said his government is holding extensive consultations on the possible measures meant to curb the spread of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic in Ghana.

According to the President, although a lockdown remains an option, extensive consultations will be made to ensure that the government takes the right decision.

Speaking at a meeting with the leadership of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) at the Jubilee House, Nana Akufo-Addo said the government will consider all factors before a lockdown is announced.

 

“People in Ghana are now talking about a lockdown. Majority of people who will be affected by decisions of that nature are the working people of our country. The ordinary people of Ghana. They are the ones who will be affected and it is important for us to take into account the circumstances and conditions. When we lock down Accra, what are the consequences…A responsible government is required to look at all the implications before  decisions are made and that is the exercise we are currently engaged in and I am hoping that much sooner than later  we will come to an agreement on what those measures are and the Ghanaian people will be informed.”

 

 

COVID-19 restrictions to avoid the spread

Following the calls for Ghana to announce a lockdown in order to stop the spread of COVID-19, the Minister for Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah has indicated that the government may announce restrictions in some parts of Ghana as part of added actions to stop the spread of COVID-19 in the country.

The Information Minister said restrictions or any other new precautionary measure the government may adopt will be aimed at curbing a community spread of the disease.

 

“So far, every step of the way, the government has been very proactive with coming up with measures to contain the situation. Those final rafts of measures now that the law has been put in place may include some restrictions in some parts of the country but whatever will be done will be with the objective of ensuring that we totally negate the potential for community spread,” he said in a Citi News interview.

 

New cases

Currently, a total of 132 persons have so far been confirmed to have been infected with the Coronavirus disease in Ghana.

This comes after 64 new positive cases were announced by the Ghana Health Service on Thursday, March 26, 2020.

Out of the 64 new cases, 40 were confirmed among those under mandatory quarantine while the 20 others were confirmed through the Ghana Health Service’s regular surveillance systems of the population.

Authorities say all the new patients have been equally isolated and receiving treatment to that effect.