A picture of BoG Hospital
The Bank of Ghana agreed to open up its hospital facility for the treatment of all COVID-19 patients in the country following an earlier decision to allow only staff of the bank and VIPs who may be infected.
Following the public roar of their earlier decision to open the facility to only VIPs and staff of the bank, the Central Bank later in a statement on Wednesday, April 1, 2020, said the hospital will “be available for the benefit of the general public.”
During a press briefing yesterday, April 1, 2020, the Minister of Health, Kwaku Agyeman Manu earlier in the day indicated that BoG had made available two floors of its hospital to host 20 beds for the treatment of COVID-19 patients.
According to the Kwaku Agyeman Manu, the Ministry of Health did not have jurisdiction over the facility, it agreed with the Bank of Ghana to treat only the central bank’s staff and some VIPs.
“We have had engagements with the Bank of Ghana and they have released two floors [of BoG hospital] to take care of 20 beds for our use. Because the facility does not belong to the Ministry of Health, Bank of Ghana has agreed that their own people and some VIP personnel will be allowed there,” the Minister said.
But BoG in a statement yesterday said the facility will be opened for use by any COVID-19 patient.
The Bank further assured the general public of its support as the country fight the COVID-19 pandemic in Ghana.
Health Minister ‘misspoke’ on the treatment of VIPs at BoG hospital – Oppong Nkrumah
Meanwhile, according to the Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the Health Minister, Kwaku Agyeman Manu “misspoke” when he indicated that the Bank of Ghana Hospital will only be treating VIPs and its staff who may be infected with the Coronavirus disease also known as COVID-19.
Below is the full statement from the Bank of Ghana.