The Ghana News Agency at Mamponteng has confirmed that last Saturday night at Ahwiaa Over-Seas, in the Kwabre-East District of Ashanti Region, a five-year-old boy whose name was only given as Bernard died as a result of a fire outbreak that gutted the house he and his 12-year-old sister were in. Also an estimated property worth of thousands of Ghana cedis was lost to the fire.
According to authorities present at the scene, the cause of the fire is not immediately known. However, they reported that it took firemen from Mampongteng, more than two hours to douse the fire. The Divisional Officer Grade 1 (DO1), Adjei Fofie also denied the allegation of some residents who said it “took two hours for the firemen to respond to calls about the fire outbreak.” He then said that residents placed their call to 191 which was an ambulance service instead of 192.
Why are most citizens not acquainted with these emergency numbers?
Some mobile phone and network users have registered and saved the numbers of these emergency services on their sim cards and phones, so anyone who uses that brand of phone or sim could easily reach these services. All network providers in Ghana should be encouraged to do so.
Authorities should also make a conscious effort to hammer these numbers into the skull of the citizens either through billboards on high ways, in movies, on radio and any platform that people go to for credible information.